Tuesday 15 October 2013

Getting the Balance Right



Spiritual depression is an issue I have certainly struggled with over the years, and something I know I will be writing about again here.
Today however, I don’t want to focus on the issue itself but an area of theology which for me has often been the trigger for hitting a spiritual low.
What I want to discuss are the teachings and books that you come across every so often that for one reason or another, even when read thoughtfully, can feel like they are just too much to take. The subject matter they deal with, or the conclusions they come to, are just so strong that your assurance, and therefore your hope can begin to slide.

One occasion that particularly sticks out in my mind is visiting my friend Matthew in Oxford in about 2006. We were both sitting reading some very strong Puritan paperbacks in his room (An Alarm to the Unconverted by Joseph Alleine was one of them I think). After a period of silent reading and concerned faces all round Matthew eventually said ‘It steals your assurance, doesn’t it?’. Sadly, I had to agree with him.

Now don’t get me wrong I agree totally with the necessity of real repentance (importantly motivated by a correct view of what God has done) and the reality of the cost of discipleship.  And I often lament how much the modern church often ignores these essentials.

But every so often I have come across a book or sermon that has pushed these two ideas so far that in all honesty they lead me to despair.

The first significant occasion I can remember this happening was as an undergraduate I came across George Whitefield’s sermon ‘The Almost Christian’. On the whole I think I managed to grasp and agree with what he was getting at. But at the same time I could find no basis for ever being sure that you weren’t an ‘almost Christian’. The unhelpful application I took from it was simply just try harder because you are probably not saved.

A more extended and no less scary version of this idea is a full length book by Matthew Meade (1630?–99) on the idea of the almost Christian.

John Flavel (1627-91)manages to be scare even more with his 'The Touchstone of Christian Sincerity', which basically leads to the conclusion that none of what you say or do proves that you either are or are not a Christian. Any of the fruit in your life may still lead you to being deceived about your true state before God.

Solomon Stoddard’s (1643-1729) ‘A Guide to Christ’ requires you to pass through so many complicated ‘stages’ of conversion and humiliation that it left me convinced that never mind me being a Christian, no one I even knew could possibly be genuinely converted.

John Bunyan at times moves in a slightly different direction and simply talks about the sheer difficulty and scarcity of salvation. Just have a look at his ‘The Straight Gate, or Great Difficulty of Going to Heaven’ or if you can find it, one of the most extreme books I have ever read – an exposition of Luke 13:24 ‘Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.’

Moving to more Pietist literature we have a book by Daniel Dyke called the ‘Mystery of self-deceiving’. Having read some of it I can certainly agree with the review:

‘This frightening book assumes that in order to be able to deal with man’s religious difficulty one must first understand it fully. It then proceeds to dissect the human heart fibre by fibre and cell by cell. No corner is left unexplored, no crevice forgotten, no raw nerve kept mercifully unexposed.’

Ernest Stoeffler, The Rise of Evangelical Pietism p.74

Here is a little taster from its opening pages:
‘Many natural men there are whom God never renewed by his grace, in whom yet he so moderateth and bridleth many corruptions as pride, lust, cruelty, etc. that they break not forth. Hence such men deceitfully imagine that they are framed of purer mold, and are of better nature and disposition, free altogether from such corruptions because free from the annoyance of them…Lest therefore we deceive ourselves in this point, it standeth us in hand, diligently to examine whether the rest and silence of our corruption be from the restraining, or the renewing spirit, from the grace of God suppressing it, or oppressing it, from want of mind disposed, or of an occasion to be proposed for the drawing forth of corruption?’

Mystery of Self-Deceiving p.34

Finally, for a whole bookshop which seems dedicated to the scariest books you can find check out here.

So what am I getting at?

Well very basically I find reading much of this kind of stuff hard. I can’t imagine what it would have been like at the time it was written.
Clearly there are some Christians who find this writing encouraging, otherwise these websites and bookshops wouldn’t exist. But I am afraid it just leads me to be being seriously discouraged.

It is this kind of thinking that probably affects my assurance more than anything. After all there is no clear level to be attained too. How do you know you have repented enough? Counted the cost enough? It feels as if any realistic basis of assurance is taken from you.

I suppose a sensible step forward when looking at all of this is that the context needs to be remembered. These writers obviously did not set out to purposely lead people to despair. As Bunyan says to his readers: 'this book is not prepared to take away true grace from any'. They just wanted to ensure you were definitely converted. When it comes to sincerity of heart they took it very seriously, and they were absolutely right to. They wanted to leave no possibility at all for false conversion. But at the same time I can’t help feeling that perhaps in seeking that end they may have pushed things too far. I get a sense that any sort of actual sanctification is in reality unobtainable, and even if you have experienced something it is more than likely false and simply a trick of your own corrupt bias or indeed the devil. And to begin to think that way is obviously very discouraging.

But at the same time I need to be careful. Three things:

Firstly, I know from experience that quite often I’m too slow to really understand what they are saying at times. I can sometimes focus far too much on just one statement and then miss the bigger picture of what they are trying to convey. Many of these books and sermons are enormous and are very heavy throughout. Just reading a few pages can easily lead you to the wrong conclusions.

Secondly, I need to remember the culture of the time too. A Philip Yancey book would never have reached these hard men of the past.

Thirdly, I love these guys – they are some of the best ever. I know that I will read their books and sermons for the rest of my life. The vast majority of what they say is massively helpful.

And this leads me to the other side of the coin. While many of the Puritans and Pietists and those who followed them have lots of this ridiculously introspective stuff, they also have a wealth of unbelievably encouraging publications too.
Take ‘A lifting up for theDowncast’ by William Bridge, or ‘Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ’ by John Bunyan as just two examples. These are books that in the very strongest of terms encourage you to never give up. They couldn’t fail to warm the heart of even the most despairing Christian. And there are many more like them.

Have a look at Jonathan Edwards ‘The Religious Affections’. I know for sure that plenty of what he has written can be very strong and scary, just look at these sermon titles. But in terms of gaining real biblical assurance, this book cannot be missed. I found it to be a real antidote to getting lost and overwhelmed when trying to gain real biblical assurance.
(It is a massive book, so for a bit of a taster of its main teaching have a look at this amazing sermon. Definitely one of my favourites ever.)

So, my conclusion.
I want finish with a question. I am well aware that so much of today’s post-evangelical church culture pushes easy believism and so much of the wrong thinking that goes with it; but in trying to respond to this is it possible to make the narrow way too narrow?

Thankfully I think I have discovered that I am not the only person to have considered this issue before.

The Scottish preacher James Fraser (1639-98) complained that part of the reason for his lack of assurance during the first three years after his conversion was that the devil was determined to make him doubt ‘by proposing false marks, and making me to imagine grace to be another thing than indeed it was; and by inconsiderate reading of marks of sanctification given in good books, some of which I found afterwards not well cautioned.’

Am I a Christian? p.5-6

John MacArthur talks of ‘A chronic uncertainty that leads to a preoccupation with oneself, one’s fears, and one’s failings. It results in a vacillating, feeble faith. That tendency plagued the church in earlier ages, and sadly there are still whole denominations today where true, settled assurance is almost unheard of.’

and  

‘Some older books make assurance dependent on such high standards of personal holiness that they render real certainty virtually unobtainable.’

Foreword to Donald S. Witney, How can I be sure I am a Christian? p.7-8

Looking back again to Pietism, Mark Talbot helpfully points out that they can sometimes be guilty of an “experientialism” that undermines confidence in salvation by grace alone, individualism that encourages followers to approach the Scriptures in naïve, undisciplined and even dangerous ways, and perfectionism that tempts people to substitute legalism and moralism for the “biblically-authorized . . . means of grace."

Roger E. Olson commenting on the analysis of Mark R.Talbot in Pietism: Myths and Realities p.4

Also at times Pietism ‘exhibited little glow and less humaneness. The Christian way was set forth as the way of rigid and merciless self-analysis in the mirror of the Word and under the glare of the white light of Godly logic.’

F. Ernest Stoeffler, The Rise of Evangelical Pietism p.75

This whole issue is obviously such a difficult balance, but it is vital we get it right. I hope the brief thoughts above in some way begin to make sense of such a difficult area of theology.

RJRIII

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List